PTO Board Members:
- Cate Leonardis, President
- Tara Ziliolli, Vice President
- Carey Begley, Treasurer
- Marie Reffler, Recording Secretary
- Sarah O’Connor, Corresponding Secretary
- Lauren Leibler, Corresponding Secretary
Call to Order: 08:39 am
- Updates from the Board
- Volunteer Sign Ups – There is a clipboard with a list of committees for the next school year. Please consider contributing your time. Cate will have the sign up sheets at pick up, or you can contact a board member to fill in your name.
- Field Day Contribution – Field Day is a little different than in the past. There will be 3 groups going at different times during the day so PTO is providing popsicles for the kids.
- Survey – Please fill out the survey that was brought home by your kids to help the PTO know where to focus their time and resources. We will consider an electronic option if the paper copies were insufficiently turned in.
- Craft Market – We are confident that the Craft Market will be run as normal this year. Please reach out to any vendor friends and please volunteer your time to help coordinate this hugely successful PTO fundraiser. Some suggestions from the meeting were to activate Vendor Instagram now and to possibly offer mason jar soups as part of the bake sale.
- Teacher Requests – Since school was quickly closed down last year from Covid, the PTO was unable to honor any teacher requests. We are now asking teachers to provide us with any requests this year that will enrich their classrooms.
- Vice President – No updates at this time.
- The PTO is happy to offer scholarships to 2 former SGES students that are graduating high school this year. The 2 students will be revealed at the virtual award show. The PTO is also able to offer several 8th grade awards this year.
- Recording Secretary – No updates at this time
- Corresponding Secretary
- Sara is preparing to offer enrichments for next school year, and some suggestions are yoga, pottery, self-defense, cooking and sewing.
- Mr. Russo
- The school is planning for a “regular year” and is looking forward to bringing back the activities/programs we missed this year. The teachers and staff were very appreciative of Teacher Appreciation Week. Thank you Ally!!
III. Other Committee Chair Updates
- Book Fair- Claire Beggans said we had great volunteers and the fair successfully brought in $2800 in sales. The children were enthusiastic and enjoyed walking around outside. The PTO will decide how to best use the Scholastic Dollars that have been earned so far, perhaps through the teacher requests. Claire is planning to have another fair, possibly at Back to School Night, and will see if there could be a case with adult level books. SInce everyone enjoyed the outdoors, she may open it up to the students outside during the day, and then set up inside when the parents come.
- Dates to Remember
06/11 – End of Year Teacher Luncheon
06/14 – Virtual Variety Show / Field Day
06/15 – Virtual Awards Show
06/16 – 8th Grade Graduation
06/16 – 06/18 – Early Dismissal
06/17 – PreK Graduation (10am) / Kindergarten Graduation (11am)
06/18 – LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
- Comments from the Floor
- Suggestion was made from Denise Paterno to offer the students a healthy food program modeled after a video she watched by chef Jamie Oliver. Older students may enjoy helping younger students make healthy smoothie combinations while learning the benefits of healthy food choices. Denise suggested that the students could also grow their ingredients in the school garden, and perhaps, watch more educational films on healthy living. Mr. Russo also suggested the Fresh Start Program that introduces nontypical fruit and vegetables to students.
Meeting Adjourned: 09:22am